Students will spend one week learning the ins and outs of working in a professional music studio environment. Whether students play a musical instrument, love to work with computer software, are master organizers, or have never even considered making music, they will all find themselves part of a team working towards a common goal – recording a song! Students will write, record, and mix using a digital audio workstation (DAW); configure microphones to capture sound; create/plan the flow of a studio session, and learn the basics of releasing and promoting their work.
Learning Objectives: in this class, students will learn to…
- Generate creative musical ideas through brainstorming and mind-mapping
- Plan, organize, and execute a studio session
- Write, record, produce, and mix music using a digital audio workstation (DAW)
- Learn to choose and operate microphones to capture the desired sound
- Learn the basics of releasing and promoting art
- Audio Interface
- Studio Monitors
- Ableton Push
- Basic Studio Gear (Headphones, Cables, Mic Stands, DI Boxes)
- Instruments (Drums, Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Vocals, Beat Pad, MIDI Controller)
- Ableton Live 11
- Logic Pro X
Deliverables: Students and Class Projects
- Class Project – Write, record, and produce a through-composed musical piece.
- Students may split into groups, depending on class size and skill level, with each group creating their own piece.
- “Just Do It” Project – a short-form musical experiment created by students during one class period.